Wednesday 10 June 2015

Maternity / The Things That Noone Tells You About

When you are pregnant, google becomes your best and worst friend. I learned to stick to 'reputable' message boards and NHS endorsed websites, but in any case you will most likely find yourself googling A LOT: a new twitch in your pelvis area or kicks (umm) down there.. and as soon as the mighty line starts auto-populate, you feel relief and that you're not alone.
On your dozen searches a day - kidding (not really!) - you will read A LOT and come across the same stuff/tips all the times... so why the hell was I not prepared for these??!!:

- Growing Spurs: at around 3 weeks, your newborn will want to feed ALL THE TIME! Like that, out of the blue, she started wanting to feed every hour and I was pretty much nursing around the clock. Again, a quick search on the web and you come across the growing spurs... AND WHY NOBODY PREPARED YOU FOR THIS? They are exactly what they sound like: baby growing, hence wanting more food. And rejoy, there are several in the first year - but you will learn to recognise them.

- Wonder Weeks: so your baby is 12 weeks and has become incredibly cranky, doesn't sleep well and putting 2 & 2 together, you realise that he is going through another development leap. These are basically like growing spurs but for the brain where babies learn new skills/reach milestones.

- The 4 month Sleep Regression: (Touch wood) Lara has been having a smooth transition with this change. I don't like the word 'regression' - it's more like a change where the infant starts to sleep in cycles like an adult so having 'light sleep phases'  where she is prone to wake up because she hasn't learnt to self-soothe yet.
And your best defence is the attack: teach your baby to self-soothe from the beginning! It will probably save you a lot of stressful and tearful time when you attempt to sleep training, later on.

TMI ALERT!!! Your first Number 2 after birth... is like giving birth all over again! And I had a c-section, mind you, so it's possible that I may be a tad exaggerating here but - BELIEVE ME - I was kind of glad that I had a caesarean. 
Sure! You may be worried to pull stitches down there but I was also wary to pull my stitches inside and outside (which I really hope it takes more than that!).
 It's not only a psychological block, so if you're still pregnant get your doctor/midwife to give you some Lactulose that is like a sugary syrup and makes all the difference (also safe for breastfeeding). That way you don't need to waste time to the GP once your newborn is here and a million other things to think about. 

Please, be aware that  this is to be viewed like a checklist - Topics that I'd recommend you read about because there are reasons behind your baby suddenly temperament changes. There are plenty of exhaustive information out there and what I found interesting is that, althought very baby is unique, they do follow the same developments/stages in quite a set timeframe... and it's reassuring to know that it is 'normal'!

4 comments:

  1. Ah love this! so true!

    Though my first No2 after birth (vaginal, gas and air) didn't hurt at all,I was worried it would but didn't hurt, just uncomfortable. I think I was lucky as I only had 2nd degree tears but my midwife (despite having to take stitches out to do them again) did a great job so I healed well.

    For me, what nobody tells you about is the sleep deprivation after bringing baby home - sleep deprivation is a form of torture for a reason, lordy! it is tough being a new mum isn't it !

    Arg, all worth it though seeing those first smiles xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, i would have killed my midwife!! but glad, you didn have a traumatic experience ;) xx

      Delete
  2. Yep, nobody tells you that going to the toilet after birth either number 1 or number 2 is worse than the birth itself! I remember having to use a jug of water to go pee because the stinging on the stitches was awful! Also the meconium... urgghhh sticky stuff coming out of the newborns bum ha ha.. I could go on. Great read Ale! :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I know that black tar poo is unbeliavalbe... you really need to see it to believe it, right? ;) xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© I am a Weapon of Massive Consumption. Powered by